Forms are a powerful tool to actively gather data from website visitors and make informed decisions based on the results collected. Form Assets in our OU Campus web content management system (CMS) make it easy for you to gather this data from prospective students who visit your website—data that you can then use to create customized experiences that target their specific queries.
The best part, though, is that no technical knowledge is needed to use Form Assets: Simply drag and drop elements to build a user-friendly form, then save and publish. You can add the form asset to any page on your website via the WYSIWYG Editor or by using the Source Editor if you have the proper permissions.
Form settings can be edited and form elements can be added, deleted, or modified as needed. Results of form submissions can be emailed to one or multiple recipients, saved to the database, or both.
While OU Campus simplifies the process of creating forms, the thought process behind them can be more complex.
“Forms can be deceiving,” said Nicole Conary, UX Design Engineer with OmniUpdate. “They look pretty straightforward, but the amount of time and effort that goes into creating them is woefully understated. However, when you are able to get the right data from your form, you have a powerful tool for helping you understand how to better meet your goals.”
Conary wrote about best practices when creating a form, but you can also keep these suggestions in mind:
- Keep forms simple.
- Be specific in what you ask for.
- Ask for only the information you need.
- Provide adequate spacing between fields.
- Keep the sequence logical.
- Group related fields for consistency.
- Display fields in the form in the same order in HTML as they appear on screen.
- Require only the most vital information to be completed and provide a few optional fields for the user to complete.
- Make your call to action identifiable.
Curious about how OU Campus forms can work for you? Request a demo today.